Friday, April 20, 2007

The Play. With Digression.

Before I begin, I must express my current physical ailment, which is occupying the larger portion of my mind: My stomach is aching, due to eating loads of pudding/cookies over top of ice-cream. Lesson learned: Don't act pig-like unless you wish to feel death-like. Aight...

I performed four shows in two days last week. In between shows I was nursing the plague, albeit a water-downed plague thanks to drugs. The play was entitled "The Problem"; a two person show about... Well, I lack skills of how to properly describe specific stories so, whatevs. The plot isn't necessary for your comprehension of my feelings.

Oh mys. I must digress for a moment. I just opened yet another Facebook e-mail with a photo comment. In this comment, my name is misspelled. It's Bryan; not Brian; got that? If I had a stone every time my name was misspelled by a "friend" I'd have enough ammunition to ensure this never happens again.

Sorry. Back to my tale. The first show flopped. The audience was sparse and the energy/synergy between us two actors was lacklustre (a rather appropriate word choice, considering the play was somewhat sexual). The second show was stronger. The audience was full, and the laughs were a dime a dozen. The energy that is gained from such laughter creates some indescribable feeling that may last hours after the show. The feeling is so fulfilling; so profoundly beautiful. The disappearance of this feeling is ultimately the cause of my post-show depression, I think. A unique moment in thesecond show: My partner forgot her line. Now, because we were performing on such a small set, no script-man existed. We sat in awkward silence for a solid thirty seconds. We just kind of stared at one another, searching for the words. We didn't panic though; we remained calm and in character. This moment was so eerily tranquil because this is an actors' greatest fear realized, yet neither of us were fearful. We embraced this moment as an opportunity to demonstrate the silliness of it all; the silliness of fear. The two other shows passed without error and were (in my opinion) greatly successful, but nothing compared to that moment; the moment where fear should of destroyed us. But we destroyed fear. This may be getting tacky, but it's the mood I'm in. Regardless, I believe this play helped me to grow and become stronger. Or maybe not. I thought being in a play may make me sociable, but that's not the case. I desire to be social, just not to the point where socialization is required. Sorry, I digress, yet again. My mind wanders sometimes.

2 comments:

Kowalski said...

less talk means more pudding!

maybe a tad more digression sprinkled here and there!
solid blogster overall

Belmondo Cafe said...

Yee