Saturday, April 14, 2007

Diagnosis: Death (With Some Laughter)

At semester's beginning, I impressed some audition person and was promptly cast in a play. An auspicious commencement for your protagonist. And so, I embarked on a journey leading to discoveries and truths of my character, and of myself. Following many rehearsals and battling many confusions regarding the purpose of this play, I finally was beginning to grasp the concepts of the script and the fundamentals of my character's rationale/persona. Then, on performance eve, it happened.
My throat was tender; my nose was mildly runny; and a slight feeling of death came over me. In the morning, the plague had struck in it's entirety. I awoke with my body feeling deader than most rocks. I diagnosed myself with dreadful death, but a normy (a normal person, probably like you) would diagnose my plague as a common cold. Nooooooooo! I had to perform! How could one properly perform with death-like illness? This would surely result in some major malfunction. Then, sudden-like, I was struck with an epiphany - drugs! I must procure drugs to alleviate my symptoms, therefore allowing for proper performance! I flung out of bed with new hope and manned the phone. I called twenty dorms (girl dorms, obviously. What man takes medicine? Unless of course, he's in a show). Some girls demonstrated concern and offered moral support; others were cold, bitter ladies, who were merciless to the sick and needy. Regardless, not a single soul had cold drugs! Madness! Does no one suffer sickness here!?
Terrible, unprepared people. Defeated, I retreated to my room, throwing on sweats and a sweater (inside-out, but who would care) as I entered into sick mode. I flopped on my bed, dreading my upcoming performance, a mere few hours away. Beat. TURNING POINT.
A voice downstairs beckons my presence. Fine. When the dizziness still had hold after the elevation change of walking down the stairs, I saw a blurred female. Angelic Jemica arrived, having heard rumors of the plague in our dorm. She offered six different medicinal options. Blessed day! I was saved. Immediately, I indulged in such (apparent) delicacies that cold drugs are at Redeemer. It tasted awful, but coated my throat with some euphoric feeling; healing, I must of been. But would my symptoms be alleviated enough for the play? And how was that play, by the way? Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Kowalski said...

It's funny that you should mention that I could find christ through nietzsche...he was a big antichrist nazi. One of his famous statements was something along the lines of God is Dead.. pretty sure he coined it! crazy germans!

Kowalski said...

wicked post tho! classic nags... complaining about your sickness... I could have done with less usage of "alleviate"....you clearly have strong affection for that word!

Belmondo Cafe said...

There is always learning somewhere, even in pagan literature. Ironically, I actually dislike the word "alleviate" despite using it twice. I apologize. My diction waa sub-par in this post, because I was telling a story. I had to dumb it down for the general mob.

Anonymous said...

lol